It is an Ascomycete fungi, belonging to the Xylariaceae family, causer of the white rottenness of the roots of many herbaceous and woody plants, the symptoms are a loss of sheen in the leaves, yellow foliate and quick death of the tree, the fruits are mummified, there is attended the fall of the leaves and fruits.
The kind of species, are not strictly parasitic, since it can live on a saprophyte way on remains of roots and survive long periods of time in the soil. The disease expands to the area across rhizomorphs´s cords, that are groups of hyphae, so can switch between an affected to a healthy.
The presence of old shade trees with roots in decomposition process, high content of organic matter in soil and high rainfall and low light are factors that favor the pathogen´s development.
The economic impact of Rosellinia is represented in the gradual decline in the number of productive trees and costs of disease management; planting other perennial species, it becomes difficult due to the wide host range that facilitate the presence of these pathogens in soil
• Acquire a good planting material with phytosanitary quality in nurseries registered by the ICA.
• Ongoing monitoring to detect in a timely manner diseased trees.
• Remove dead trees and debris such as logs or stumps.
• Avoid wounding trees during farming.
• Disinfect tools during the pruning tres work.
• Avoid pruning during the rainy season.
• Apply microorganisms antagonists to the soil such as the fungi´s complex of the Trichoderma genus.